Client: Peachtree Road United Methodist Church
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Glass Installation Date: 2002
Cost: $1.6 million
About The Client
Taken from prumc.org: "Peachtree Road was organized on April 28, 1925 in the home of Dr. and Mrs. M.T. Salter. In May 1925, the new church purchased a lot at the corner of Peachtree Road and Sardis Way. The first public service was held there on June 7, 1925, as was the first Sunday School meeting at Peachtree Road. In 1941 the church sold our property at the corner of Peachtree Road and Sardis Way and purchased the property where the church stands at 3180 Peachtree Road. We built what was known as The Great Hall in 1942, and held public worship there until 1949. The Great Hall has been in use since then and is now known as the Hall of Apostles in the back of the church. What we now call the Old Sanctuary was built in 1949, along with the Church School Building. The Old Sanctuary was opened on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1949 and hosted worship services until we moved into the New Sanctuary. The Church School building continues to host many of our Sunday School classes and is now called the Adult Education Building. Peachtree Road developed a Master Plan in 1992 to guide the expansion of our campus. In 1996, the Evelyn Gordy-Rankin Children's Building opened to house our nursery, children's Sunday School classes and pre-school. At the same time, we built The Rollins Center, which houses church administrative and business offices, meeting rooms and the Youth Lounge. By 1998, Sunday attendance in the Old Sanctuary had grown to the point where some worshipers were regularly seated in folding chairs in the Old Sanctuary and in overflow seating in the Chapel at major holiday services. In 1999, the congregation voted to build our New Sanctuary."
E. Crosby Willet spearheaded the project by drawing on his expertise and insight of over 50 years to help conceptualize, create, and implement this project.
To design these windows, Mr. Willet chose famed stained glass artist Charles Z. Lawrence. Willet and Lawrence share a working relationship that spans over three decades. During his 17 years as an employee of the Willet Studios, Lawrence and Willet worked together on many important projects including three leaded windows for the Washington National Cathedral and the 135 foot high faceted glass window for the Washington Temple of the Latter Days Saints in Kensington, Maryland.
The project called for the fabrication of 41 leaded stained glass windows. The windows were made up of high quality, antique glasses that had been acid etched, silver stained, and heavily painted.
The windows were set into aluminum frames that were set into cast stone. The windows were then covered with Lexan protective covering.
Because of the varying thicknesses of the Norman slab glasses used in the windows at St. Andrew's, standard lead cames weren't always capable of holding such glasses. To remedy this situation, our craftspeople created custom lead cames by hand that had a channel wide enough to allow such glasses to fit.
"Excellent job! The crew was very dilligent and worked in an efficient and professional manner. They arrived on time, cleaned up after themselves and did a perfect job on the installation. We are very pleased with the stained glass restoration."
- Brian Faniro, Warden
See more pictures of the Peachtree Road United Methodist Church windows.